Friday, April 23, 2010

Lamp Shade to Bowl...

originally posted back in August, but I FINALLY took a pic of it filled with fruit on my fridge:)



BEFORE: Red-ish/Purple-ish/with Gold Trim Metal Lamp Shade- to the LEFT

AFTER: Black & White Centerpiece Bowl- to the RIGHT





I picked up this lamp shade @ an Enrichment Exchange we had a couple of weeks ago.
Everyone brought their "junk/stuff they didn't want/didn't need anymore" and everyone got to go "shopping"! The best part was, that everything was FREE!!!
I saw this lamp shade & did NOT like it as a lampshade, but thought I could re-purpose it somehow???
So I spray painted the metal lamp shade WHITE...
and took out a permanent paint marker & started drawing designs.
(I thought of doing it in pencil first, but I wanted I didn't have a rhyme or reason to the design, so I just thought I would go for it!) I messed up a couple of times, so I just added another swirl & made it work!


You can make up any design you want or look at something else for inspiration (my sewing machine bag inspired me)
Draw your design...I KNOW it is UGLY!

...but once you thicken the lines, it turns out BETTER!

When I was done...or I thought I was ...I noticed some gaps that I thought were too big between the designs...

...so I added in some more swirls to bring the designs together...

And I was DONE!
Or...I thought I was...



I decided the inside needed to be spray painted black to give it a bit more contrast...

every angle has a slightly different design...


And THEN it was DONE...

And now it has a cozy home, holding some fake fruit, on top of my fridge!




14 comments :

The Standrings said...

wow stace, i am amazed. cute stuff.

Care said...

wow! who knew??

{love, mj.} said...

apples. that would be SO cute!

Mama V said...

You should put yarn balls in it! :)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

A lamp shade bowl!!! What an original, cool idea! I've featured this on somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Love your ideas!!!

Linds said...

GET OUT!

Andy Porter said...

I LOVE that!! I can't believe you didn't draw it with a pencil first. I could never do that and have it end up looking cute like yours. I swear I would end up painting over the whole thing. You have a great eye for design. Very clever. Thanks for the link!!
~Andy @ poppies at play

Anny said...

How pretty :D

That party sounds like a fun idea!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Great idea! I love to reuse things and give them a new life! This lampshad bowl turned out so cute!

Ashley said...

wow! that turned out great!

Lyndsey said...

I can;t beleive the stuff that people come up with - so creative!!!!

CHERI said...

This is truly one of the cleverest ideas I've ever seen....I love it!
Visit me sometimes at www.cherischatter.blogspot.com. I'm just learning about blogging!

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

Hi Crafty Girly,
I'm just stopping by, saw you featured on 504 Main so thought I'd come and check it out. Guess what? Now you have ONE MORE follower! Hmm, only 302 more unread posts in my google reader, mostly crafty blogs! Thanks for sharing your creative craftying adventures with blogworld!

Anna

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

ooh, love this idea! Thanks for sharing!